Monday, April 20, 2009

Katie Holmes You are Not a Real Mom! Get Over Yourself!

Ok so I was reading Good Housekeeping the other day and this quote by Katie Holmes really irked me. The Hollywood wife and actress said this about her young daughter Suri; "I've never met a 2-year-old who is terrible. I'm so cool with every stage my daughter goes through. I just think she's amazing. I hope she's not looking at me thinking, Mom, are the terrible 30s coming on for you?"

I may have lost all respect for a magazine that I have enjoyed since I was a child. Good Housekeeping was my mom's magazine of choice and as an adult I enjoy reading it also. But why on earth they felt they needed to put this quote in their magazine is beyond me. Do the staff at Good Housekeeping really think that I would ever look to a celebrity mom for parenting advice? Katie Holmes' quote not only proves that she is not a real mom, but that possibly Suri Cruise is not a real kid!

Seriously I have a 2 year old daughter myself and another daughter who is finally past those terrible 2 days. Now I don't know Katie Holmes personally, but I imagine that she has an entire staff who help her look after her "little angel" Suri. I imagine that when Katie is in the shower her child is handed off to a nanny. Therefore Suri has no chance to get to her mom's purse, steal a lipstick and proceed to rub it over her entire body. I'm sure the kitchen staff at the Cruise household is on guard, so much so, that Suri has never had access to the fridge and the many treasures it holds. Can you imagine what Tom Cruise would do if he came home and found his daughter mixing a brew of cracked eggs, blueberries and Ovalitine in the dog bowl. It's never gonna happen!

Suri very well be an angel, she may never have gone through the terrible 2's and that's because she has never been allowed to! Yes my home is a pit, yup my walls are marked with crayon, my hair is a mess, my eyebrows have not been plucked in months. Holes in the wall are the latest home decorating techniques, right?

A good day for me is getting to shower and hoping that nothing has been damaged beyond repair! (Oh and please all you nice mom's out there, no advice about the methods you use to contain your children, not everything works for everybody. And since I have not noted this yet, I am not crying for help, it's just a blog!)

I live in the real world where 2 year olds are TERRIBLE. But their hearts are good, they are learning, and exploring.

Nothing fascinates Janelle more then Bella's water bowl. She is constantly coming up with different things to put in it, heck one day I even found her drinking from it. This may drive me crazy, but I think that it is shaping her, and creating an independent little person. She is creative and filled with wonder. If she had a staff who catered to her every whim, which is how I believe Suri lives, she would never know how to make an indoor sandbox. You spill all mom's sugar onto the floor and spread it around as fast as you can, before the dog licks it up! Or what about the joy's of sharing an entire container of strawberries with your sister while mom showers. I imagine Janelle had a great time when she sprinkled Parmesan cheese and raisins all over the floor. I can't imagine what she is thinking when she does these things but her mind is working, the mind of a 2 year old is irrational, uninhibited and actually quite funny! The possibilities are endless for my terrible 2. I am a real mom who can actually admit that my kid is terrible! Yup it will pass and the next stage will bring it's own form of awfulness.

I embrace it, accept it! But unlike Katie Holmes I am the one left to clean up the mess. NO nanny here, no staff and I think my kids are better off. (I am no way talking about real working mom's here. You guys come home and care for your kids. I am talking about those rich and famous mom's who lose their baby weight miraculously overnight.) All 2 year olds, are TERRIBLE and if I am lucky she will outgrow it before she turns 3. 3 brings its own set of problems.

Don't give me advice Katie. I don't want to hear what you and your celebrity mommy friends think, you may love your children, you have actually think you are a real parent, but sadly you are not.

No comments: